Versión en español a continuación - Desplácese hacia abajo.

Immigration law is complex. The application procedures are paper-intensive and can be confusing. Most importantly, the stakes are high. Whether you or a family member are seeking to obtain a visa or green card, pursue U.S. citizenship, avoid deportation, end detention, or seek another immigration benefit, the attorneys at Cabanillas & Associates are able to use their years of expertise to help you and your family.

We are conveniently located across the tri-State area and welcome you to book your consultation in any one of our eight office locations. We also suggest you read the information below to better understand the U.S. immigration system and our services. 

Removal Defense and Immigration Appeal

Removal, formerly called deportation, is a legal proceeding through which immigration officials seek to remove a foreign national from the United States for violating an immigration law or other U.S. law. These proceedings generally take place in Immigration Court before an immigration judge. A non-citizen cannot be deported without a hearing, unless he has been convicted of certain crimes, and is not an LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident).

Criminal charges can create enormous complications for immigrants. Even lawful permanent residents may be subject to removal, arrested and detained, or denied naturalization because of a criminal conviction. Some criminal matters do not require conviction to trigger inadmissibility or deportability for an immigrant. If you are in danger of being deported, it is important that you quickly consult an experienced immigration lawyer. Our team of lawyers are available to assist.

We can help you with cases involving: denial of applications; deportation or removal proceedings; motions to reconsider and reopen; criminal convictions; 245(i) benefits; hearings before the immigration judge; stays of deportation and cancellation of removal; appeals of decisions; consequences of being out-of-status; and voluntary departure.

Detention Cases

Detention is the process by which the U.S. government holds foreign nationals in immigration facilities, prisons, or jails while their removal proceedings are pending. Asylum seekers who enter the U.S. without documentation may be held at a DHS (Department of Homeland Security) detention facility until they pass a credible fear interview or until the completion of their asylum hearing.

Whether you are legally or illegally in the country, some circumstances may lead to detention and deportation based on a criminal charge. Most of the time detainees are taken to detention facilities out of the state and loved ones are not informed of the location. Most of the time detained immigrants are entitled to a bond yet they do not know it. If you, a family member, or a friend is going through this painful experience, we can help you. We can determine if you are eligible for a bond, conditional release and adjustment of status.

Image of young family with American flag

Permanent Residence

There are several different avenues to obtaining permanent U.S. residency. Here is a brief overview:

Family Sponsorship 

If you want to immigrate to the U.S. through the family-based category, your relative who is either a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident must sponsor you. We can help with application for family members in and outside the U.S., spouses and children of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, parents or siblings of U.S. citizens, fiancé petitions, applications for removal of conditions, consular processing, employment authorization, and travel authorization.

Employment-based Petitions

One of the most widely-used methods to obtain permanent residency in U.S. is the employment-based immigration category. You are eligible to apply for permanent residency under this category if:

  • You have an opportunity to work permanently in the U.S.

  • You have an employer in the U.S. who wants to sponsor you for Lawful Permanent Residency in the U.S.

Labor Certification

The PERM labor certification process is the first step in the ultimate goal of permanent residence with a green card. The PERM procedures are complex, but essentially require a showing to the United States Department of Labor that your employer is offering a permanent job at prevailing wages and that U.S. citizen workers are not qualified to meet the demand of your occupation.

Once this is certified by the Department of Labor, the employer must then petition the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service that they have a qualified worker. It must be demonstrated that the employer has the ability to pay and you are qualified for the position. You must still be eligible to adjust status in the United States or return home. We can help you throughout the process.


Every year, thousands of people come to the U.S. in need of protection from persecution in their country on account of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Those found eligible for asylum are permitted to remain in the U.S. for as long as they “have a well-founded fear of persecution.”

The Refugee Act of 1980, and subsequent modifications of it incorporated into the Immigration and Nationality Act, state that, “Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States … irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum …” (sec. 208 of the INA). To apply for immigration through this category, you must first obtain refugee/asylum status in the United States.

You may apply for permanent resident status in the U.S. under this category one year after you get the status of a refugee or asylee. If you are a refugee, you are required by law to apply for permanent resident status. This condition is not applicable if you are an asylee; however, it may be in your best interest to do so. We can help.


In the U.S., citizenship can be obtained by birth or by naturalization. If you have been a permanent resident for 5 years you can apply for legal U.S. citizenship “naturalization.” If you are married to an American citizen then you can apply after 3 years. We will advise you as to whether there are any issues that need to be resolved in your favor to obtain citizenship. 

We handle immigration matters with the utmost sensitivity and confidentiality. We also understand the need to act quickly - Don't hesitate to contact us so we can begin helping you right away.

Call 1-800-LA-FIRMA (1-800-523-4762) or book your appointment now.


La ley de inmigración es compleja. Los procedimientos de solicitud requieren mucho papeleo y pueden ser confusos. Más importante aún, las inversiones son altas. Si usted o un miembro de su familia están buscando obtener una visa o un permiso de residencia, procurar la ciudadanía estadounidense, evitar la deportación, poner fin a una detención, o buscan otro beneficio de inmigración, los abogados de Cabanillas & Associates pueden utilizar sus años de experiencia para ayudarle a usted y a su familia.

Estamos convenientemente ubicados en toda el área triestatal y lo invitamos a reservar su consulta en cualquiera de nuestras ocho oficinas. También sugerimos que lea la siguiente información para entender mejor el sistema de inmigración de los Estados Unidos y nuestros servicios.

Defensa Contra la Remoción y Apelación a la Inmigración

La remoción, antes llamada deportación, es un procedimiento legal a través del cual los funcionarios de inmigración buscan remover a un extranjero de los Estados Unidos por violar una ley de inmigración u otra ley de los Estados Unidos. Estos procedimientos generalmente tienen lugar en la Corte de Inmigración ante un juez de inmigración. Alguien no-ciudadano no puede ser deportado sin una audiencia, a menos que haya sido condenado por ciertos crímenes y no sea un LPR (Residente Legal Permanente, por sus siglas en inglés).

Los cargos criminales pueden crear enormes complicaciones para los inmigrantes. Incluso los residentes legales permanentes pueden estar sujetos a ser removidos, arrestados y detenidos, o a que se les niegue la naturalización debido a una condena penal. Algunos asuntos penales no requieren de una condena para provocar inadmisibilidad o la deportación para un inmigrante. Si usted está en peligro de ser deportado, es importante que consulte rápidamente a un abogado de inmigración experimentado. Nuestro equipo de abogados está disponible para ayudar.

Podemos ayudarle en casos que involucren: negación de solicitudes; procedimientos de deportación o remoción; peticiones para reconsiderar y reabrir casos; convicciones criminales; beneficios de la sección 245(i); audiencias ante el juez de inmigración; estancias de deportación y cancelación de remoción; apelaciones de decisiones; consecuencias de estar fuera del estatus; y la salida voluntaria.

Casos de Detención

La detención es el proceso por el cual el gobierno de los Estados Unidos retiene a ciudadanos extranjeros en instalaciones de inmigración, prisiones o cárceles mientras sus procedimientos de remoción están pendientes. Los solicitantes de asilo que ingresen a los Estados Unidos sin documentación pueden ser retenidos en un centro de detención del DHS (Departamento de Seguridad Nacional, por sus siglas en inglés) hasta que pasen una entrevista de temor creíble o hasta la finalización de su audiencia de asilo.

Ya sea que usted esté legal o ilegalmente en el país, algunas circunstancias pueden llevar a la detención y deportación con base en una acusación criminal. La mayoría de las veces los detenidos son llevados a centros de detención fuera del estado y sus seres queridos no son informados de la ubicación. Generalmente los inmigrantes detenidos tienen derecho a fianza, pero no lo saben. Si usted, un familiar o un amigo está pasando por esta dolorosa experiencia, podemos ayudarle. Podemos determinar si usted es elegible para una fianza, liberación condicional y ajuste de estatus.

Residencia Permanente

Existen varias vías diferentes para obtener la residencia permanente en los Estados Unidos. A continuación un breve resumen:

Patrocinio a la Familia

Si usted desea inmigrar a los Estados Unidos a través de la categoría familiar, su pariente, ya sea ciudadano de los Estados Unidos o un Residente Legal Permanente, debe patrocinarle. Nosotros podemos ayudar con la solicitud para miembros de la familia dentro y fuera de los Estados Unidos, cónyuges e hijos de un ciudadano americano o residente permanente, padres o hermanos de ciudadanos estadounidenses, peticiones de prometidos, solicitudes de retiro de condiciones de residencia, procesamiento consular, autorización de trabajo y autorización de viaje.

Peticiones Basadas en el Empleo

Uno de los métodos más utilizados para obtener la residencia permanente en los Estados Unidos es la categoría de inmigración basada en el empleo. Usted es elegible para solicitar la residencia permanente bajo esta categoría si:

●      Tiene la oportunidad de trabajar permanentemente en los EE.UU.

●      Tiene un empleador en los Estados Unidos que quiere patrocinarle para la residencia legal permanente en los Estados Unidos.

Certificación Laboral

El proceso de certificación de trabajo del Programa de Manejo de Revisión Electrónica (PERM, por sus siglas en inglés) es el primer paso en el objetivo final que es la residencia permanente con una tarjeta verde. Los procedimientos PERM son complejos, pero esencialmente requieren demostrar al Departamento de Trabajo de los Estados Unidos que su empleador está ofreciendo un trabajo permanente con salarios competitivos y que los trabajadores ciudadanos de los Estados Unidos no están calificados para satisfacer la demanda de su ocupación.

Una vez que esto sea certificado por el Departamento de Trabajo, el empleador debe entonces hacer una solicitud al Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de los Estados Unidos diciendo que cuenta con un trabajador calificado. Debe demostrarse que el empleador tiene la capacidad de pagar y que usted está calificado para el trabajo. Usted debe seguir siendo elegible para ajustar el estatus en los Estados Unidos o regresar a casa.

Nosotros podemos ayudarle durante todo el proceso.


Cada año, miles de personas vienen a los Estados Unidos en necesidad de protección contra la persecución en su país debido a su raza, religión, nacionalidad, pertenencia a un determinado grupo social o por una opinión política. A aquellos que son elegibles para asilo se les permite permanecer en los Estados Unidos mientras tengan "un temor fundado de persecución".

La Ley de Refugiados de 1980 y sus modificaciones posteriores, incorporadas en la Ley de Inmigración y Nacionalidad, estipulan que "Cualquier extranjero que esté físicamente presente en los Estados Unidos o que llegue a los Estados Unidos ... independientemente del estatus de ese extranjero, puede solicitar asilo ..." (sección 208 de la LIN). Para solicitar la inmigración a través de esta categoría, primero debe obtener el estatus de refugiado/asilado en los Estados Unidos.

Usted puede solicitar el estatus de residente permanente en los Estados Unidos bajo esta categoría un año después de obtener el estatus de refugiado o asilado. Si usted es un refugiado, la ley le exige que solicite el estatus de residente permanente. Esta condición no es aplicable si usted es un asilado; sin embargo, hacerlo puede ser de su conveniencia. Nosotros podemos ayudar.


En los Estados Unidos, la ciudadanía puede ser obtenida por nacimiento o por naturalización. Si usted ha sido residente permanente por 5 años, puede solicitar la  ciudadanía legal estadounidense por "naturalización". Si está casado con un ciudadano estadounidense, entonces puede solicitarla después de 3 años. Le asesoraremos si hay algún problema que deba resolverse a su favor para obtener la ciudadanía.